Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TV; love

Is it wrong to want to enter "The Roast of Bob Saget" into my Blackberry calendar? I mean, I just don't want to forget to watch, which is funny for two reasons. 1) From whence springs this sudden anxiety over missing strange appointment television? 2) Comedy Central only replays things eight million times a week. I could forget to watch and then find it later the same night. 3) Have I mentioned I love Swingtown? I do. 4) That was three things but the third had nothing to do with the first two. 5) See, I think the reason I like Swingtown so much is that despite the fact that it's about swinging sort of—or about couples figuring out how to define their relationships—the writers of the show and I share some common conceptions of what love is based on two things that characters on the show have said. A therapist on the show said, "When respect goes, love goes," or something to that effect, which I agree with. Also, one of the characters said something like "They say that love happens when someone sees you as you see yourself." It's for this reason that I fall in love with people who think I'm flawless.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob Saget is being roasted? I'm tempted to say I'll take a thigh, but I won't. I didn't know they still did roasts, but I expect there's a plethora of material there considering it's Bob Saget. Plethora is my big word of the day.

Alison, CBS seriously needs to hire you to do promos for Swingtown. Or maybe have you guest star. Or BOTH. Maybe a recurring role as a seductive vamp or alluring temptress who moves into town and throws all marriages into chaos. Maybe a femme fatale whose wily charms ensnare husbands in bonds of irresistible desire.

OK, I'm getting a little too excited writing this....

Rbastid said...

If you like swingtown have you checked out Mad Men? Just watched the first season and its great, very stylistic and with lots of black comedy.

The quotes are better then swingtown too, such as "I'll just take this for the ride home" as John Slattery grabs his drink. Oh the comedy of drunk driving in 1959.

Anonymous said...

rbastid, I've seen some of the Mad Men episodes. It's a great show and very well written. They do a good job of capturing the 'golden age' of advertising in the U.S. circa the late 1950s and early 1960s. Or at least the way I imagine it.

Brent said...

I see you as perfect and I hold the utmost respect for you...what does this mean?

Brett Jones said...

I've not seen Swingtown, but I do like Mad Men. The second season is airing now. It's at episode two or three.


Maybe we Rosen fans should all chip in and get AMR a Tivo.

Ted from Accounting said...

Um, this is "Big Brother" season! I get the 24 / 7 live feeds on my PC...

Danny Tanner can't interrupt my routine! I'm surprised you don't watch BB, since you have all that "freelance" time on your hands! J/K